Re: XFS Development

To: Michael Arndt <M.Arndt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS Development
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 19:54:40 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 11:16:32AM +0200, Michael Arndt wrote:
> Hello, a query for an article:
> -how many  developers are active at the actual XFS
>  development ?

That's a hard number to quantify ... across both IRIX and Linux,
at least twenty people I would guess, in a number of geographies.
[counts on fingers]... at least 5 on core Linux/XFS right now.

If you count CXFS, that number balloons out much further.

> -is XFS proting still supported by SGI ?

proting?  do you mean... porting? or promoting?  yes for both.

> please answer directly to M.Arndt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> reason for this question:
> cited rumours that most of the XFS porting people
> have left SGI

Three/four people from the 1.0 Linux/XFS team left during/just
after the recent SGI headcount reductions.  And some of these
folk still contribute in answering list email, coding as time
permits, etc; so its not even as bad as that.  It was certainly
not "most" of the team though.

> If recommending a FS for productive environments
> further support is an issue
> and i want to cite only facts not unconfirmed rumors

The rumours are largely untrue, although there were some people
leave recently.  People also get pulled onto other SGI projects
at various times and later return, or just for a time have less
involvement, so at any one time its often hard to tell exactly
how many people are working full time on XFS.

> thanks for any help/info

hope this helps clear things up a bit.