Re: nfs3 problems w/xfs?

To: Tad Dolphay <tbd@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: nfs3 problems w/xfs?
From: Gary Orser <orser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:51:48 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Tad,

Hmm, It looks like nfs3 wasn't working.

I upgraded to 4.5.9, with the 4.5.9-xfs patches
and now nfs3 works ok, however:
(must have been the version of nfs-utils)

I just copied a large file from the sgi server to this linux box
(512m 1.4g Athlon) and the box got buried.

Over a 100mb switched line a 3G file took 26 minutes, ok not spectacular.

Load average was over 7, system cpu % was over 85%.

The single processor on the origin 2000 (r10000) running nfsd was barely
turning over.

Terminal response was just barely usable on the linux box.
(e.g. it took 4 min. to get top running in another console window)

This was an ide drive but still...

Adding to this a little later on...
I did a little further stress testing

dd if=/dev/zero of=./test bs=1M count=3000
xfs=23 mins
ext2=22 mins
eliminating nfs and xfs
same buried processor.  It must be a kernel thing.

kswapd and kupdated were the big cpu hogs, although
there was never any swap used.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Gary
Gary Orser , (406) 994-6451, orser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx