Re: Kernel hangs with mongo.pl benchmark.

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Kernel hangs with mongo.pl benchmark.
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 23:55:05 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> Paul Schutte wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found a problem while doing benchmarks with mongo.pl
> >
> > The sympthom is that the machine just hangs. No error messages.
>
> Ok, I see this too.... looks like bdflush is the only thing that's
> running.
>
> If I try a sync, then that's what hangs, both of these get lost in
> write_some_buffers - looks like a deadlock?

Then it is specific to scsi perhaps. AFAIk the scsi layer was never
considered "elegant".

> Hm.... you think Hans did this on purpose?  ;-)
>
> I'll see if I can find anything next week... time for my weekend now,
> I'm afraid.

Mine started 8 hours ago :-)

> Thanks for pointing this out!
>
> -Eric
>
> p.s. fwiw, this is on adaptec hardware as well.

I am not seeing it on my Athlon and IDE home box. Is this thus only
reproducable on adaptec/scsi hardware?

I'll scavenge the room for my spare 4.5GB scsi disk and see if I can get
my homebox to hang. My controller however is a sym53c8xx.

I have tried 1,5 and 10 processes but it just won't hang :-)

Cheers

Seth