Re: Kernel Oops .....

To: Michael Wahlbrink <miw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Kernel Oops .....
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 20:35:28 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Michael Wahlbrink wrote:

> On 01.09.2001 18:35:46 Seth Mos wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >> Bad news.....
> >> Ok, the Kernel compiled fine with kgcc ;-) and it runs longer under
> >load
> >> then the other old kernel but i get an oops again...... :-(
> >> here it is!
> >
> >I see you are using part of the syslog messages. Can you find the syslog
> >initscript and add the -x option to it? By adding -x to syslog it will
> >not
> >try to interpret the oops.
>
> Ok its done!
>

> >This might give better results in running ksymoops.
> >
> >I am suspecting hardware problems. Could you find and run memtest86 to
> >test your memory?
>
> No problem, as standard Suse Installs an Memtest Bootimage......

Nice.

> ..... I let run memtest for 1pass with no errors so it seems, that the
> 256mb infineon module works correct.
> Perhaps it is a problem, that i chose in the kernel athlon/duron as
> processor type, i'll build a kernel with only pentium.... maybe it will
> help?

It could affect, compiling for i386 will always work, but compiling for
athlon/duron will make it faster. I compile my kernel for athlon systems
and I don't have problems. Do you have the latest bios for your system,
that is asuming you have a motherboard with a VIA chipset.

> And will try the things also on another old pII mashine with only 2 30gig
> hdds....... (takes some time)

If can try it on another machine we can see if it is purely a software or
hardware problem.

Cheers
Seth