Re: Problems with driver disk

To: Bernd Birkholz <opensystems@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problems with driver disk
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:33:53 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Bernd Birkholz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I did want to use xfs on my new server system because I learnt to
> appreciate this filesystem under IRIX. So I downloaded your installer
> iso image and burnt it on CD. Since the RAID driver in RedHat 7.1 for my
> RAID-Controller was corrupt I got a driver disk.

Like Martin said, you can't use a driver compiled for Red Hat's kernel
with the XFS kernel (more generally, you can't use reliably use drivers
across kernel versions, in most cases.)

On the other hand, we have a newer kernel than in the original Red Hat
7.1 release - perhaps your issue has been resolved in this kernel.  Have
you tried installing without using any driver disk?

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.