XFS (v.1.0.1 for RedHat 7.1) and XFS (Irix 6.5.13m) differ?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: XFS (v.1.0.1 for RedHat 7.1) and XFS (Irix 6.5.13m) differ?
From: Sven G Hyberts <shyberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:08:51 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
    Thank you for creating XFS v.1.0.1 for RedHat 7.1 Linux!  It makes
me much happier not to fsck all the time!!!

    Anyhow, I am trying to take this a further step - provide the same
diskpartition local on both SGI and Linux. The trial setup is following -
a 70 Gbyte FC Seagate Cheeta, via loop one linked to an Origin200 with
Qlogic's 2200 card, and via loop two linked to a PC with RedHat
7.1/2.4.3-SGI_XFS_1.0.1 kernel.  The Antares P-0033 card is recognized as
a Qlogic's 2100 card.

    The disk drive is visible from both end, formatted from the IRIX
side.  Currently, I have problems with putting a xfs file system on that
is seen simultaniously from both sides.  Using the whole disk (i.e.,
starting from block 0, and using the entire disk) I am able to make
usable, but independent, file systems from both sides (haven't checked
crash point yet), but this is not quite what I envisioned!

        I envision to make a filesystem, such that when a file is created
on either one system, it is visible directly on the other opposite
system....  Your FAQ indicate that it is possible to bring over XFS disks
from IRIX environment to the Linux environment, so,

    I am thankful for advice!

    Sincerely,

Sven G. Hyberts, Ph.D                             Research Associate
Harvard University, Medical School  e-mail: sven_hyberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
240 Longwood Ave; Dept BCMP          voice: (617) 432-1721, 432-3211
Boston MA 02115 - USA                  fax: (617) 738-0516, 432-4383