Re: xfsdump/restore from cd

To: Charles Radeke <charles.radeke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsdump/restore from cd
From: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 03:10:26 +0000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Charles,

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 03:42:47PM +0200, Charles Radeke wrote:

> my problem is the following:
>
> I would like to backup a partition of some GB by burning cd's with
> splitted xfsdump , each is 650MB. Is it possible to use a cdrom-drive as
> a tape (like/dev/rmt)? and if, how to simulate the tape change?

Can't really do this.
When dumping to a tape (which uses the drive_scsitape strategy)
it send mt commands to the tape device to do tape operations and get
status. This aint going to work for a non-tape device.

> I saw
> that is not possible to xfsrestore splitted dumps step by step, only the
> first succseeded (what is clear to me). I wont copy 7 cd's on an empty
> drive bevor I can do  cat <dumpname*> | xfsrestore - /<dir>
>
> Or ist there another solution in general for my problem? I saw that the
> -d option is not available for xfsdump like at IRIX-xfsdump where I can
> set the size of the media.

This option is available in Linux/XFS too but I don't think this is of
use to you.  It is for the drive_scsitape strategy where a dump is split
into multiple files on tape (media-files). This is so that a bad tape
can have the good media files still restored.

So what are possible solutions ?
(a) try using split(1) to split up the dump output from stdout
    But this would require room for the split files.
(b) write your own drive strategy for xfsdump/xfsrestore :)

--Tim