Re: shutting down f/s

To: kris buggenhout <buggenkr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: shutting down f/s
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 10:00:00 -0500
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>, "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Comments: In-reply-to kris buggenhout <buggenkr@god.bel.alcatel.be> message dated "Thu, 04 Oct 2001 16:31:41 +0200."
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Might this be related to shutdowns taking a long time to actually
> unmount fs...
> I noticed since I upped the kernel to an 2.4.10 release ( dont know the
> exact checkout)
> shutdowns hang on umount for a significant larger period... as in taking
> 2-3 minutes istd of 20-30 secs.

Hmm, thats a new one to me too, my shutdowns on all xfs boxes do not appear
to have become any longer - however, the systems are not busy before the
unmount usually. The new VM showed up later in the 2.4.10-pre series,
possibly this was the cause.

Can you characterize how much activity there is on the system before
shutdown - would there typically be a lot of dirty data in filesystems?
Also, you mention write activity - is this during shutdown?

Steve