Re: shutting down f/s

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: shutting down f/s
From: kris buggenhout <buggenkr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 17:08:52 +0200
Cc: "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steve Lord wrote:

> > Might this be related to shutdowns taking a long time to actually
> > unmount fs...
> > I noticed since I upped the kernel to an 2.4.10 release ( dont know the
> > exact checkout)
> > shutdowns hang on umount for a significant larger period... as in taking
> > 2-3 minutes istd of 20-30 secs.
>
> Hmm, thats a new one to me too, my shutdowns on all xfs boxes do not appear
> to have become any longer - however, the systems are not busy before the
> unmount usually. The new VM showed up later in the 2.4.10-pre series,
> possibly this was the cause.
>
> Can you characterize how much activity there is on the system before
> shutdown - would there typically be a lot of dirty data in filesystems?
> Also, you mention write activity - is this during shutdown?

After a whole day of writing files / ftp logs / ftp data /archiving data
on cd / removing data, .
approx 1-3Gig/day.

with some processes still holding a lock on that dir ( they should get
killed before umount gets called)

I would say this fs should amount to a high percentage of dirty data.
as its a very active fs read/write/delete...