Re: 2.4.9 is bad

To: tommy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2.4.9 is bad
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 09:05:17 -0500
Cc: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > I saw this at least twice on this system.
> > > Anyone knows if 2.4.10 fixes these problems?
>
>    I also got the same message in here.... 3 times in yesterday night :-(
>
>    2.4.10 has some other problem in VM.... it will freeze my linux (deadlock)
> .
>    I've tried the vm-tweak patch and linus's deadlock patch... but it seem no
>
>    work here (for SMP, HIGHMEM linux).

Since Florin works for SGI we are going to start trying things out on
his machine.

Steve

> > Looks like it's time to go back to older kernels for production
> > machines. :o)
>
>    So... do you know which version of kernel is stable with XFS now ?

2.4.9 (and 10) are stable for most people, but feeback from people
seeing this problem as to what hardware they are using would be
good. Highmem is always a possibility. How long the machine stays up,
how active it is, cpu count, memory size, use of md or lvm on the
filesystems which are shutting down. These would all be useful
things to know.

Steve