2.4.11 rocks? (and xfs / confusion)

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 2.4.11 rocks? (and xfs / confusion)
From: Robin Humble <rjh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 04:02:26 +1000 (EST)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Erm, just to add in some non-negative feedback for 2.4.11 - it works
fine for me, and my toy memory thrasher benchmark(*) runs in less than
half the time that 2.4.9 takes. xmms was also totaly happy whilst the
system was swapping madly, although to be fair 2.4.9 was pretty good
for this too... Go Linus?? :)

On an XFS note (unrelated to 2.4.10 or 11) - both my laptop and
desktop systems (2.4.9, 2.4.11) ALWAYS say on bootup that recovery is
required on the root filesystem - even though it's been shut down
cleanly.  My laptop's been doing this for months and I think the
desktop box started doing it in the last week or so (running 2.4.7).
There's nothing unusual about the boot or shutdowns (everything seems
clean) except this one thing :-/
RedHat7.1 with kgcc. I have cvs xfsprogs also.

from dmesg on every boot:
XFS mounting filesystem ide0(3,1)
XFS: WARNING: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
XFS: write access will be enabled during mount.
Starting XFS recovery on filesystem: ide0(3,1) (dev: 3/1)
Ending XFS recovery on filesystem: ide0(3,1) (dev: 3/1)
VFS: Mounted root (xfs filesystem) readonly.

I could probably xfs_repair (or just mount) the desktop disk with
a rescue CD to fix it, but the laptop hasn't enough memory to run the
rescue CD and I'd have to pull the @#$@#$@ disk out and move it to
another machine to sort it out - big hassle.

Any ideas?
Maybe it's corruption left over from an earlier kernel version that's
never being fixed?
A friend of mine found it also and thought it might be 'cos we upgraded
from earlier RH/XFS versions rather then re-installing.

cheers,
robin

(*) allocates memory (eg. 400M when I have 384M of ram) and touches
many of the pages whilst allocating, and then touches random pages
10k times once the full 400M is reached. It's designed to simulate an
app that has bad data locality.