Re: Linux 2.5 or now 2.6 targeted

To: SGI XFS Dev List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.5 or now 2.6 targeted
From: Alan Eldridge <alane@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 07:49:40 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 06:40:19AM -0500, Steve Lord wrote:

>As for code duplication - there is maybe one operation which has major
>overlap - xfs_rename. If we take out code in the mainline kernel then we
>loose about half of what XFS can do and might as well go home anyway.

Did I misunderstand earlier discussions (the nudge Alan Cox thread) then? I
inferred it meant that XFS was doing the same things, in different ways,
than the mainline kernel. By what you just said, I think I erred. Is the
issue really that the code is not confined to the FS layer, but that XFS
needs additional, mainline, code to function?

--
Alan Eldridge
from std_disclaimer import *