Re: ext3 + xfs + jfs + reiser

To: Justin Coffey <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ext3 + xfs + jfs + reiser
From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:01:37 -0400
Cc: Hristo Grigorov <Hristo.Grigorov@xxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Justin Coffey wrote:
> IBM Netfinity 5500 w/ServeRAID II, RedHat 7.0 w/2.4.5+xfs
> compiled with an updated compiler and I *think* updated libraries.

Even if you update the RedHat compiler, do *NOT* use RedHat 7.0's
GCC "2.96" at all for kernel compiles.  You want to make sure the
kernel Makefile (in /usr/src/linux) is changed to "kgcc" on RedHat
7.x, which uses 2.91.66 for kernel compiles.  "kgcc" is the issue.
I had big time mount issues when compiling with 2.96.

BTW, why did you go to stock kernel 2.4.5 + XFS rather than RedHat
2.4.3 + XFS?  I've been humming with the heavily RedHat patched
2.4.3 release + XFS with 0 issues on a number of systems.

> We were running RAID 0+1.

Again, the fact that you couldn't mount volumes tells me you either
didn't have the correct modules/drivers support in your kernel or
used GCC 2.96.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith    mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx   chat:thebs413