Re: ext3 + xfs + jfs + reiser

To: Justin Coffey <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ext3 + xfs + jfs + reiser
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:26:19 -0500
Cc: Bryan-TheBS-Smith <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>, Hristo Grigorov <Hristo.Grigorov@xxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Comments: In-reply-to Justin Coffey <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> message dated "Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:08:16 -0700."
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

> > Sounds like a hardware driver issue.  The OS shouldn't see any
> > difference with hardware RAID.  What kernel were you using for
> > ReiserFS?
>
> 2.4.5 I believe, but we've since upgraded it.

Two differences between XFS and other filesystems on Linux is that XFS
will:

 a) Access the first and last block on the volume during mount
 b) Do some 512 byte reads and writes and some larger 512 byte
    aligned writes.

However, there should be nothing in what XFS does that any self
respecting disk driver/hardware combo should not support - provided
it provides 512 byte sector aligned access.

Steve