Re: write errors on secondary scsi LUNs

To: Arjen Wolfs <arjen@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: write errors on secondary scsi LUNs
From: Matteo Centonza <matteo@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:50:32 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Arjen,

> I have two hardware raid partitions, on an identical SCSI ID; one with LUN
> 0, one with LUN 1. The partition on LUN 1, which consists of brand new hard
> disks, is generating random write errors of the kind:
>
> SCSI disk error : host 2 channel 0 id 0 lun 1 return code = 8
>   I/O error: dev 08:21, sector 310378498
> XFS: device 0x821- XFS write error in file system meta-data block
> 0x12800002 in sd(8,33)
>
> SCSI disk error : host 2 channel 0 id 0 lun 1 return code = 8
>   I/O error: dev 08:21, sector 310397560
>
> Oddly enough, xfs_check and xfs_repair can't find anything wrong with it
> after this happens. Considering kernels before 2.4.10 would not even
> recognize SCSI devices on LUNs other than 0, I am not entirely sure wether
> this is an XFS or a SCSI issue. Anybody have any ideas?

I'm not an HW-RAID expert but i've seen this message before:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-xfs&m=100319330327289&w=2

indicating a raid layer level corruption. XFS notify this way that
something is going wrong  with you  array. Do sanity check of your
hardware (disks, controller, scsi terminations). It's likely that's
a hardware based problem.

Which controller are you using?

-m