Re: write errors on secondary scsi LUNs

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: write errors on secondary scsi LUNs
From: Arjen Wolfs <arjen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:20:48 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 12:05 23-10-2001, Steve Lord wrote:

Hi Arjen,

I suspect you are being hit by the scsi layer here - you are seeing two
error reports, the first one is the scsi layer reporting an error, the
second is xfs reporting it got an I/O error from the scsi layer.
Apart from hex vs decimal, they are both complaining about the same
disk block.

Have you tried some raw I/O tests to the same device without a filesystem
on it?

I'll try and do some testing (specific suggestions are welcome); I am pretty sure this is a SCSI layer issue, especially since any kernel before 2.4.10 will not even see the partition on LUN 1; I was hoping maybe somebody had encountered the same problem.

What In do find strange however, is that xfs_check/xfs_repair see no errors on the filesystem, considering the error message about errors writing metadata.

/Arjen