Re: GRUB in RedHat 7.2 xfs

To: erich@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: GRUB in RedHat 7.2 xfs
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:39:22 -0500
Cc: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Stuart Luppescu <s-luppescu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

> Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I got the xfs patch for grub and built an rpm with it installed - the
> > redhat version does not have it in there.
> >
> > I have not had time to test it yet, but we could put it up
> > on the ftp site for some brave souls witj disposable machines
> > to try out.
>
> I tried the 0.90 version w/the XFS/JFS patch ver 1.0 (which was the most
> recent one as of a few days ago, still dated Aug 29th).
>
> It appears to work fine, though I haven't sniffed through the source in
> detail to see if it does stuff like replay the logs...  but that's
> probably ok since when you use it in general it's read-only (only writes
> if you run the install command), so I initially tested it running off of
> a floppy.

I have looked briefly at the code - and built a redhat based rpm
with the patch in there. It does not do log replay, but that is a
really complex task which nothing except the kernel does right now.

My only other concern with the code from a quick read was what would
happen in a really large directory, or in a really small one which
fit inside the inode. The number of filesystem combinations which
xfs could generate is large, and I am not sure all the directory
options are covered. I could be wrong, I spent all of 15 minutes
on the code.

> I'm glad that guy made the patch, since I only got time again recently
> (which I spent first on tracking down the RH compiler 2.96 bug).
>
> FYI, I'm active again in GRUB development, and am going to get this
> patch into the main CVS tree ASAP.

This would be good to have in there, thanks.

Steve