Re: Undelete in XFS

Subject: Re: Undelete in XFS
From: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 16:41:29 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steve Lord wrote:

> On Thu, 2001-11-08 at 16:45, Chris Tooley wrote:
> > Wish I could file an evolution bug and blame it on someone else, but my
> > problem is my own stupidity trying to make space on my harddrive.  BTW
> > what is the status of being able to move the start point of a
> > partition?  I can't do a dump and restore on my workstation and really
> > need to add some space to this partition.  However, I'm at the end of
> > the disk.
> >

> Which I think translates into shrinking a filesystem.
>
> The answer to that question is also xfsdump/mkfs/xfsrestore, the
> xfs disk structures are a little complex to shrink.
>
> Steve
>
> p.s.
>
>  Disk drives are really cheap now, I have a spare 20Gbyte 7200 rpm IBM
>  IDE drive sitting on a shelf in my office, it cost about $100.

I installed a scratch 20 Gb cheap-o into a removeable tray, and have the
tray on a couple of computers. Makes a wonderful floppy. Just make sure
it is formatted as an extended/logical partition, primaries tend to
confuse some more stupid o/s's when the partitions get added and
removed. I highly recommend a removeable tray scratch IDE drive.

D. Stimits, stimits@xxxxxxxxxx