RE: Patching 2.4.14 with ext3 and xfs?

To: "'linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Patching 2.4.14 with ext3 and xfs?
From: Vernon Fort <vfort@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:19:21 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
After researching on "how-to-patch" ext3 and xfs, I have been enlightened on
the current status of ext3.  Am I correct in stating it is still in beta (so
to speak) and considered "Experimental" in the linux-2.4.15 kernel.  From
what I have read, there are a few issues (stability wise) with ext3 so maybe
it's not such a good idea using this file system.  I admit I am no expert
but I usually stick with software that works, works well and integrates with
ease.  I have successfully compiled the 2.4.13 kernel with xfs and jfs and
created partitions on the same server using ext2, reiserfs, jfs and xfs (I
know - it sounds silly but I was testing).

  My whole intension was to see if I could use ext3 (I prefer the RedHat
distribution of Linux) as the base file system of /, /usr, /var and use
either reiserfs or xfs ( I'm leaning towards xfs) for a very large samba
share.  I like the ACL stuff in the xfs.  I have used ext3 on a
semi-production server running as a mail hub and have noticed some very odd
errors reported from the MTA ( locking and file system full when its not).

  I have used xfs over the past 3-4 months and it's noticeable faster then
reiserfs in some applications, GREAT SOFTWARE!!!!.  My real question is I'm
and thinking of using the ext2 file system for / and /usr (primarily for
recovery reasons and it a standard and proven file system) and xfs for
everything else - OR - should I use xfs for everything.  Any thoughts would
be greatly appreciated!

Vernon Fort