XFS and backup solutions

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: XFS and backup solutions
From: Jason White <jasonjgw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:42:02 +1100
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
I read a statement on SGI's XFS site to the effect that xfsdump, a
high-performance backup program provided with XFS, currently provided
support only for tape cartridges and did not work well with removable
media.

I have a CD-RW drive with which to perform backup, either of my entire
file system or those parts of it which are important to preserve, such
as the home directory.

What backup tools/strategies do you recommend for use with XFS?
Obviously, xfsdump has the advantage of preserving any ACLs and
extended attributes that may exist, which would be lost by other
tools. I also noticed that xfs_copy isn't ready for Linux yet.

As this isn't necessarily an XFS issue, I would be willing to take the
discussion elsewhere if list members don't consider this to be an
appropriate forum.