Re: How to fsck read-only-mounted root filesystem?

To: Dan Hollis <goemon@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How to fsck read-only-mounted root filesystem?
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 09:10:28 +0100
Cc: Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux xfs ml <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 22:48 5-12-2001 -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Seth Mos wrote:
> At 13:40 5-12-2001 -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > Boot from a bootable CD and perform the repair on the unmounted
> > > filesystem.
> > > Have a look at this http://lbt.linuxcare.com/index.epl
> >Seems a bit ridiculous to have to install a CDrom just to fsck the root
> >filesystem.
> Install what? You don't install anything. You just boot from the CD, fix
> stuff and then reboot.

Takes a while to install a cdrom drive...

I always carry one around when I am going to maintain a server. I have a server at a colo which doesn't have a cdrom drive either. I just take one with me when I go there.

I am forced to take the machine out of the rack anyways if I am going do something to it. But fixing a corrupt fs while the system is online is not reassuring for me either.

> It takes a bit more time yes, but 5 minutes at most of the corruption is
> not serious.

Seems a bit silly to have to do it at all, I can see this being a 'show
stopper' bug for some.

For some yes.
--
Seth