Re: file corruption during emacs build on XFS logical volume

To: Sean Neakums <sneakums@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: file corruption during emacs build on XFS logical volume
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 02 Jan 2002 12:18:25 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2002-01-02 at 12:16, Sean Neakums wrote:
> I'm getting some random file corruption on one of my XFS LVM volumes,
> leading to things like an emacs binary that is filled with runs of
> NULs and pieces of deleted files.  I've been able to build
> successfully on an ext2 logical volume on the same machine with the
> same kernel.  I've tried both a kernel built from a 2.4.17 and a
> 2.4.16 CVS pull, built with gcc 2.95.4 from Debian unstable.  I still
> have a 2.4.14-pre7 lying around, so I'll try an emacs build on that,
> too.
>
> I'm not really sure how to start tracking this down; I don't even have
> a simple test case to reproduce it apart from doing `apt-get source
> --build emacs21', so suggestions for things to try and information to
> gather would be appreciated.

How much memory do you have on this machine, and how many cpus?
And can you tell if the build is doing things in parallel or is just
single threaded?

I don't think there is much point going back to earlier kernels to be
honest. I will fire up an emacs build here, on a non-lvm partition for
starters.

Steve