Re: file corruption during emacs build on XFS logical volume

To: Sean Neakums <sneakums@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: file corruption during emacs build on XFS logical volume
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 04 Jan 2002 17:36:11 -0600
Cc: Linux XFS <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2002-01-04 at 15:28, Steve Lord wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-01-04 at 14:33, Steve Lord wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-01-04 at 14:29, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> > > What is the affected version with this? 2.4.17 or all?
> >
> > Well I hit it in 2.5.2-pre7, but I suspect it goes back into 2.4.16
> > at least. I may have made a mistake in the changes which went in
> > to fix various things during 2.4.16.
> >
> > Steve
> >

> It looks like the problem was introduced sometime after the original
> split patches for 2.4.16 were put out on Dec 3rd. So it is either
> related to something in the fixes for dbench on low memory systems,
> or something missed in the 2.4.17 and 2.5.2 merges.
>
> Steve

I started with the initial 2.4.16 patches and kept applying fixes to
them - so far I have not managed to reproduce the problem, so I am going
to try a kernel from just before the 2.4.17 merge went in and see if
that works. This does not totally explain why the 2.5 tree exhibits the
same problem.

I am out of time for today, I may or may not be able to look at this
again before Monday.

Sean, if you could apply the xfs patches for 2.4.16 (on oss.sgi.com
in the projects/xfs/download/patches/2.4.16 directory) and see if
you could make this fail I would appreciate it. As I said, for me
this worked just fine - as did adding all the I/O path related
changes I made before Christmas.

Steve (puzzled)