"No such file or directory" (still) (was Re: file corruption during emac

To: "Stephen Lord" <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: "No such file or directory" (still) (was Re: file corruption during emacs build on XFS logical volume
From: "Ralf G. R. Bergs" <rabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 15:17:14 +0100
Cc: "Linux XFS" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Eric Sandeen" <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steve,

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 06:55:12 -0600, Stephen Lord wrote:

[...]
>You are in the 'queue', unfortunately, there are not many hardware raids
>accessible around
>here for linux development, so duplication of your environment is a
>little tricky from this
>end

I really (REALLY) appreciate all your efforts and the work you're doing --
this goes to the WHOLE team!! Thanks much!!

[...]
>If you still have the system in this state, could you run xfs_db on the
>unmounted filesystem:

I wish I still had the system -- the problem is that I wanted to try your
"fix" (the "Emacs" fix which I thought could also fix "my" problem,) and since
I only have one RAID to play with (the other one is active in production use)
I had to reformat the filesystem. :-(

But I have a "broken" filesystem again -- I get the infamous "No such file or
directory" message again, altho THIS TIME I don't even get a warning from
"xfs_repair -n /dev/sdc5." Everything seems fine... :-(((

Unfortunately I don't know ANYTHING about the structure of an XFS filesystem.
Suppose I have the complete path of a "broken" file (that gives me the "No
such file or directory" warning,) could you direct me how to use xfs_db to
further narrow down the problem? I've tried understanding the xfs_db manpage
but as a layman in XFS structure basics I failed miserably.

I've played around with xfs_db a little bit, and received the following
output:

xfs_db: blockget -n
dir 1426370585 block 8388614 extra leaf entry 62b7eea7 2a89
dir ino 1426370585 missing leaf entry for 62bdaea7/2a89
user quota id 232, have/exp bc 0/1 ic 0/1
user quota id 1000, have/exp bc 2521011/2521010 ic 19036/19035

Does this -- as I seem to understand it -- already indicate a problem to you?
How would I further investigate it?

Thanks,

Ralf

--
Verkaufe Original-BMW-Raeder:                    L I N U X       .~.
http://adsl-bergs.rz.rwth-aachen.de/~rabe       The  Choice      /V\