Large file I/O error

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Large file I/O error
From: Wessel Dankers <wsl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:08:44 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
oi!

I think tripped over a nice, juicy bug here. I used ftruncate64() to create
a sparse file of 2^63 bytes. Then I run mkfs.xfs on it (without any options).

The filesystem on which the large file resides goes belly-up and refuses
to perform any operation at all, returning EIO on even an ls.

I can umount it (although running a sync hangs for a while) but xfs_check
fails because the superblock is overwritten (!). After xfs_repair, mount,
xfs_repair -L, everything is OK again and I don't seem to have lost any
files (I didn't look very closely though, it was just my /tmp). This is
in dmesg:

xfs_force_shutdown(ide0(3,6),0x8) called from line 1020 of file xfs_trans.c.
Return address = 0xc01bdfc7
Corruption of in-memory data detected.  Shutting down filesystem: ide0(3,6)
Please umount the filesystem, and rectify the problem(s)

I hope it's not a known bug, I'd hate to waste your time.

Regards,

--
Wessel Dankers <wsl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Telecommunications is downshifting.