Re: strange bug in linux-2.4.9-13-xfs

To: Knut J Bjuland <knutjbj@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: strange bug in linux-2.4.9-13-xfs
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:00:35 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:13:20 +0100,
Knut J Bjuland <knutjbj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>XFS seem to have problem when shutdown/loginout from gnome.  XFS seems
>to mess up .ICEauthority and ~/.gnome/panel.d in a manner that make it
>impossible to login in gnome from GDM. There are a workaround by
>deleting .ICEauthority and restore these file from a backup. I then get
>my settings back. This problem does not affect latest CVS in

If the system is crashing then you can get null data in recently
changed files, this is in the XFS FAQ.

There is a completely unrelated problem in flushing IDE drives before
suspend/shutdown that can give the same symptoms, even on a clean
shutdown.  Andre Hendrick has been trying to get patches into the
kernel to ensure that IDE drives are flushed on shutdown.

People have reported similar symptoms with several filesystems when the
init scripts fail to flush the IDE caches on shutdown.  hdparm -f on
each device might help.