Re: strange bug in linux-2.4.9-13-xfs

To: Knut J Bjuland <knutjbj@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: strange bug in linux-2.4.9-13-xfs
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:00:35 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:13:20 +0100,
Knut J Bjuland <knutjbj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>XFS seem to have problem when shutdown/loginout from gnome.  XFS seems
>to mess up .ICEauthority and ~/.gnome/panel.d in a manner that make it
>impossible to login in gnome from GDM. There are a workaround by
>deleting .ICEauthority and restore these file from a backup. I then get
>my settings back. This problem does not affect latest CVS in
>linux-2.4-xfs.

If the system is crashing then you can get null data in recently
changed files, this is in the XFS FAQ.

There is a completely unrelated problem in flushing IDE drives before
suspend/shutdown that can give the same symptoms, even on a clean
shutdown.  Andre Hendrick has been trying to get patches into the
kernel to ensure that IDE drives are flushed on shutdown.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101005576629982&w=2

People have reported similar symptoms with several filesystems when the
init scripts fail to flush the IDE caches on shutdown.  hdparm -f on
each device might help.