DMAPI and dm_set_return_on_destroy

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: DMAPI and dm_set_return_on_destroy
From: "James A Goodwin" <jagoodwi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:05:55 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm still porting a DMAPI application from a DFS environment.  Currently,
we store some information in a special DM attribute on every file, and when
that file is destroyed the attribute is returned with the destroy event.
This is set up when the mount event comes in for the file system.  Before
replying to the event, we use dm_set_return_on_destroy() to tell DMAPI we
want that DM attribute returned when objects are destroyed in the file
system.

However, with XFS I'm getting an EBADF (9).  The DMAPI spec says that this
indicates that the DM handle "does not refer to an existing or accessible
object," but I know the handle is good.  I'm using DM_NO_TOKEN as the
token, so I tried using the token passed in the mount event and I get an
EACCES, which is even worse.  I even tried simply using DM_RIGHT_EXCL, but
then I get an ESRCH.  I find all this confusing especially since rights are
supposedly not implemented by the XFS version of DMAPI.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what's going on and what I can do to get
this call to work properly?

Thanks,

-James Goodwin
Software Engineer