Why porting XFS to Linux means much work (was Re: Reduce XFS footprint (

Subject: Why porting XFS to Linux means much work (was Re: Reduce XFS footprint (was Re: TAKE - remove a function xfs added to filemap.c
From: "Ralf G. R. Bergs" <rabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:59:45 +0100
Cc: "Stephen Lord" <lord@xxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:59:15 -0600, Stephen Lord wrote:

[...]
>I would say 95% of the code is untouched, except for the endian
>conversion work which
>was neccessary for a little endian implementation. The interfaces
>between the vfs and
>the filesystem and between the filesystem and the block layer are where
>all the
>changes have happened. We did need to do a lot of work for data caching
>since the
>Irix model and the linux model were not at all close. The vfs layer has
>some major
>differences too.

I understand. Thanks for explaining!

>>>#define XFS_BIG_FILES           0
>>>#define XFS_BIG_FILESYSTEMS    0
[...]
>The limits in xfs if you turn these off are:
>
>Max file size 2^40 bytes
>Max filesystem size is 2 Tbytes I think (not sure without some research).

I guess that would still be plenty. :-)

>It does compile and run, and you save about 45K in code size by doing it,

Well, indeed 45K isn't too much so I spare myself the trouble of running not-
so-well-tested code (if I understood you correctly.)

Thank you for your efforts,

Ralf

--
Verkaufe Original-BMW-Raeder:                    L I N U X       .~.
http://adsl-bergs.rz.rwth-aachen.de/~rabe       The  Choice      /V\