Re: Mounting an xfs partition twice?

To: Jim Buzbee <James.Buzbee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Mounting an xfs partition twice?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Feb 2002 10:13:06 -0600
Cc: XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 10:03, Jim Buzbee wrote:

> While looking into an apparent filesystem corruption issue, I noticed
> that a script that we run mounts an already mounted filesystem in a
> different location.  Mount allows it. Is this a feature? or is this a
> _bad_ thing?  The corruption I am seeing is not on the partition that is
> mounted twice.

http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s14-6
1. I've mounted a filesystem in two different places and it worked. Why?

          * (AV, paraphrased by William Stearns)Because you've asked the
kernel to do that. Yes, it works. No, it's not a bug. To unmount it from
either mountpoint, simply run umount <mountpoint>. Repeat for each
mountpoint on which you do not wish the filesystem mounted.

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.