Re: Mounting an xfs partition twice?

To: Jim Buzbee <James.Buzbee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Mounting an xfs partition twice?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Feb 2002 11:08:01 -0600
Cc: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 10:54, Jim Buzbee wrote:

> OK, X86, IDE - 2.4.8 Kernel with a number of modifications, compiler  :
> egcs 1.1.2 - The xfs patch we applied to the kernel is :
>
> patch-2.4.8-xfs-2001-08-13.bz2
>
> We are pretty much frozen on this kernel right now because of the
> difficulty of moving forward our 2.4.8 modifications.
>
> > xfs_repair -n on the filesystem in question might tell us some
> > interesting things as well,

<nothing very interesting>

> > What sorts of interesting things are
> > you doing with it?  :)
>
> This condition is unfortunately repeatable (we trashed a number of our
> set top boxes...).  For us it occurs during the automated installation
> of several compressed tar files - Nothing extraordinary other than the
> filesystem is quite busy (we are simultaneously recording and playing
> MPEG 2 video from our satellites) - This problem just started occuring -
> The only change was a new build of the kernel so that is my current
> suspicion...

Well, repeatable is good.  Just send me one of the set-top boxes, and
... ;-)

So you're recording, playing, and installing tar files at the same
time?  Which files get mixed up, the mpegs, or the files from the tar?
Does it fail if you only install, and don't record/play?

If you can duplicate this without the need for a satellite, perhaps we
can duplicate it here as well.

Although, if it "just started occuring" - sounds like it might be some
change you made...

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.