Re: kernel panic (corruption of task struct)

To: Thomas Duffy <tduffy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: kernel panic (corruption of task struct)
From: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:52:55 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas Duffy wrote:

On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 11:45, Stephen Lord wrote:

Stack overflow looks likely here. I don't know of any in xfs, but xfs in combination with other things might cause problems. We had one case in LVM snapshotting where LVM was putting large chunks of stuff on the stack. That code should not be in your
kernel though, unless you added it.

This is a stock xfs kernel rpm 1.0.2 from sgi.  No recompile, no addons
-- we are not using lvm on this machine, anyways.  Any suggestions on
how to figure out what is going on here?  Cause this is on a critical
machine and having it go down every few days is not good...

If it goes down again, is there anything I can do in kdb to help narrow
down where this is happening?

Thanks!

-tduffy

Should this actually be stack overflow, the tricky part is that the crash usually happens long after the overflow - when the corrupted task struct is accessed.
The one of these we found in LVM took a long time to locate.

All I can suggest right now is updating your kernel.

Steve