Re: mkfs.xfs says "can't determine device size"

Subject: Re: mkfs.xfs says "can't determine device size"
From: Alvaro Figueroa <fede2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Feb 2002 16:59:31 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> The device driver you're using doesn't support the BLKBSZSET ioctl.
> It should also be returning ENOTTY (rather than EINVAL) according
> to a recent discussion on linux-kernel for ioctl commands which it
> doesn't recognise.

I might be talking rubish[1], but this is plain scsi disk. What specific
device is lacking this support?

Should I report this to the vger lkml? What should I say?

> > mkfs.xfs: can't determine device size
>
> I assume you're using mkfs from xfsprogs-2.0.0 -- in which case,
> your device driver also doesn't support the BLKGETSIZE64 ioctl.

Yes.

> This second one is fatal because mkfs needs to know how big your
> device is.  You should be able to make some more progress using
> a filesystem in a regular file

Should a raid or LVM object do it?

[1] I'm still a begginer at trying to know the kernel insternals, and I
still haven't read the ioctrl section ;), so...

--
Alvaro Figueroa