Re: external log config [was: Million files or so on RAID 5 Partition]

To: "Ralf G. R. Bergs" <rabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: external log config [was: Million files or so on RAID 5 Partition]
From: "Martin K. Petersen" <mkp@xxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Mar 2002 08:38:44 -0500
Cc: "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Simon Matter" <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>>>> "Ralf" == Ralf G R Bergs <rabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Ralf> On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 08:11:55 +0100, Simon Matter wrote:
>> I have made several performance tests some time ago. I learnt that,
>> while it's imporant to have external log

Ralf> Is it ALWAYS advisable to have an external log (I mean even on
Ralf> hardware RAIDs,) or does this only apply to software RAIDs
Ralf> (LVM)?

It only applies to Linux software RAID5. It is due to the way the
latter implements stripe caching.

See http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/mail_archive/0202/msg00329.html

--
Martin K. Petersen, Principal Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
mkp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.linuxcare.com/