RE: Does XFS on hardware RAID5 have perfomance issues?

To: "'Steve Lord'" <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Does XFS on hardware RAID5 have perfomance issues?
From: Murthy Kambhampaty <Murthy.Kambhampaty@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:20:31 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

We have a SuperMicro S2QR6 motherboard with four PIII Xeon 500 MHz/2Mb cache
and 4gb RAM (call it comp1). I get kernel compile times that are thrice as
long as on a dual PIII 550 Mhz Katmai processor with 256 MB of RAM (call it
comp2); importing a file into MySQL seems to take almost 50% longer on comp1
than on comp2. So, I'm chasing down all the bottlenecks and trying to
eliminate them. I thought the 2.4 kernel scaled well to sixteen processors,
and there is no indication that the highmem configuration slows the kernel
down this much, but I might have to get on the kernel mailing list with
this.

Thanks for the response to my original question,
        Murthy