Re: xfsrestore problems

To: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsrestore problems
From: John Kihonge <mkulima@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:34:10 -0500
Cc: Juergen Hasch <Hasch@xxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> > I really don't understand how a minor glibc library update can cause such
> > problems. All other binaries were identical (kernel, modules, xfs
> > libraries).
>
> I don't know for sure it even changed anything. In fact, I really don't
> believe the upgrade to 2.2.4 actually did anything. Today I looked
> through the files again, and I really think the results were about the
> same.
>
> The main difference this time was the error message I got more than the
> number of files restored.
>
> I think it's very bad that a restore program can be so heavily affected
> by the dump program's online database. The restore should do a restore,
> period, no funny business.
>
> --
> UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are working to try and determine what might be happening and to help you
restore the data. The backup may not be lost and you may be able to recover the
files you want. The problem you are having may have nothing to do with the
online
database. We are working hard at it and we will get back to you early next week.

Thanks,

Kihonge JN