Re: RH 7.3 and XFS

To: Stefan Smietanowski <stesmi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RH 7.3 and XFS
From: Mike Burger <mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:09:59 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 28 May 2002, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:

> >>I'm sorry, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me here. You have me
> >>confused.
> >

> > The next statement should have given you the indication.  I'm disagreeing
> > that they need to request the next version be updated...already using the
> > product, from a previous installer, and being members of this list and
> > having read the previous threads, they should already know that it's
> > forthcoming and should need to ask.
>
> Ok, well, I disagree with the implicit assumption that there will be an
> installer made. Don't get me wrong. I want one to come forth, it's just
> that it shouldn't be 100% assumed they will. I even believe they said at
> one point there was NO work being done on the installer. I believe it
> was Nathan who said that but I could be mixing it up.

I suppose that's fair enough.

> quote someone else then Nathan:
>  > When will there be ISO images for RedHat 7.3 please ?
>
> When someone from the community makes one.
> end quote
>
> And I read "community" as not being SGI themselves :)

True...though I read "community" as including SGI, or, at least, the
OSS/XFS team" in that community.

> >>Again, is 3 people submitting a request 3 people submitting a request or
> >>a demand?
> >>
> >>I have seen a few requests for an installer. I cannot say I've seen a
> >>demand for it.
> >

> > But it hasn't been 3 people...it's been more (and no, I haven't saved all
> > the threads, so I don't have an accurate count, at this time).
>
> I know there's been more, that was again an example :)
>
> Not keeping count? What do you do all day ? :)

Unfortunately, search for a job. :-(  Know anyone in the NY/NJ/PA area
that needs a Unix/Linux admin?

> >>IF they choose to make one. They have indicated there is work in that
> >>direction.
> >
> > Exactly...they have indicated that it is being worked on.  How are
> > repeated requests for a deadline or release date going to help, when, as
> > is the case with any development process, end dates can't really be pinned
> > down without looking like fools if the dates are missed?
>
> Being a software developer for several years I know :)

Being a guy who's been doing one form or another of support for nearly 16
years, I do too. <G>