Re: Problems with 2.4.19-pre9 & XFS/DMAPI kernel config logic problem

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problems with 2.4.19-pre9 & XFS/DMAPI kernel config logic problem
From: Adrian Head <ahead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 19:35:35 +1000
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
I was following the problem with 2.4.19-pre9-xfs originally on
irc.openprojects.net #xfs but because of other issues had to leave;
therefore, I'm not currently aware of where this issue ended up.

I have compiled using kgcc the XFS CVS 2.4.19-pre9-xfs obtained on the
20020602-0003 and I have not seen these problems.  I havn't tested it into
the ground but it seems to work quite well copying files around, deleting the
files, untaring kernel sources as well as kernel compiles.

What I did come across though is that the kernel config logic for XFS & DMAPI
doesn't really do what it should (AFAICT) from the TAKE message from a while
ago.  This problem I discussed with Eric & Chris Pascoe on #xfs but I'm not
sure what the outcome was.

What happens is that make oldconfig doesn't pick up on the fact that DMAPI
should not be compiled as a module when XFS is compiled into the kernel.
Everything compiles correctly - however when a depmod is run it fails because
of missing symbols in the dmapi module.

I'm not sure what the outcome of the discussion on #xfs came to - but if
anyone needs further info just tell me.

--
Adrian Head

(Public Key available on request.)