Re: ACLs changing for no apparent reason. (Samba 2.2.4, XFS on 2.4.17).

To: "Ken D'Ambrosio" <kend@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ACLs changing for no apparent reason. (Samba 2.2.4, XFS on 2.4.17).
From: Ian Cumming <ian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 00:56:25 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Ken,

If I remember correctly, someone asked a similar question a little while
ago on the list.

What you are observing is probably due to the behaviour of the way
certain applications write to files. Some windows applications
move/remove the old file, and create a new file with the same filename
when a user "saves" an open file. Thus, you are losing the ACL on the
file, so to speak.

You could overcome this problem by setting a default ACL for the user
group on the parent directory of any files you share. That way, new
files are created with the needed ACLs to allow other users in the group
to modify the files. Thus, files which are edited and "saved" by
software of said behaviour will have the correct ACLs.

hope this helps,
Ian.

--
Ian Cumming, ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"The number of Unix installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
-- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972