Re: Snapshot regression test [WAS: re[6]: Summary - Snapshot Effort]

To: Greg Freemyer <freemyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Snapshot regression test [WAS: re[6]: Summary - Snapshot Effort]
From: Michael Best <mbest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:08:16 -0600
Cc: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
If you want your script to send all output to /dev/null this works
pretty good, I have tried several things to turn off redirection to
null, but have come up empty.

exec >/dev/null 2>&1     # Send all output to /dev/null

The subshell thing was one I had considered, but I experimented with it
early and wasn't sure about how you were killing the subprocess so I
abandoned investigation of that.  Anyhow, with more of the code I'm sure
I could come up with something.

My test script which I got working was something along the lines of:

exec >/dev/null 2>&1

while true; do
    sleep 1
done &