feature request

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: feature request
From: Jeffrey Hundstad <jeffrey.hundstad@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:11:51 -0500 (CDT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

First, I'd like to say thanks to the developers for making a great
product.  It's nice to have a truly great file-system available for
linux.

Now for the meat ;-)

I've had very little problems trying to make the cmd utilities from
source... but when I try to make the utilities with options
(ie. --prefix or --static) the options get lost in the makefiles.

Over the last few months I've been successful at going into each of
the subdirectories in the cmd tree (ie. xfsdump xfsprogs etc.) and
modifying the Makefile near the ./configure line and putting
--prefix=/otherdir.

I then have to go to each program that I want to make statically
linked, rm it then run make.  I grab the line that linked the file and
place a -static before the "-o".

There is also a Makefile belief that the linux source tree, linux,
lives at the same level as cmd.  While a simple symlink seems to make
it happy there'd seem to be a better way.

So... here's where the request part starts:

It'd be a lot of fun do the following from a command line at the root
of the cmd directory:

autoconf

./configure --kernel-source=/home/me/src/linux-2.4.19-xfs --static-binaries
--prefix=/myowntree --with-xfsdump --with-aclsupport --with-xfsprogs
--without-rpmpackaging

make

make install

I'm not at a level where I can really do this work myself.  I'm just
learning how the configure stuff works.  ...But if anyone else is
thinking about a build rewrite these would make nice features.

--
jeffrey hundstad