RE: XFS RPM install on Redhat 7.2

To: Mike <samba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: XFS RPM install on Redhat 7.2
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:23:25 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "'Eric Sandeen'" <sandeen@xxxxxxx>, "'Simon Matter'" <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 at 12:26am, Mike wrote

> I am going to install kernel-smp-2.4.9-34SGI_XFS_1.1.i686.rpm and
> hopefully I will see 4 CPUs. Some how it supposed to be faster with the
> 2 CPUs treated as 4 CPUs (?).

That depends very much on the workload.  For HPC type stuff (scientific
code), HT is actually bad -- the "virtual" CPUs share execution units and
contention for these resources slows everything down.  For other workloads
it can be a gain, but, personally, I just turn it off in the BIOS.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering