Re: PATCH: sleeping while holding a lock in _pagebuf_free_bh()::page_buf

To: Luben Tuikov <luben@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PATCH: sleeping while holding a lock in _pagebuf_free_bh()::page_buf.c
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 22 Oct 2002 16:29:54 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 14:55, Luben Tuikov wrote:

> No!
>
> This is what wake_up_sync() does. wake_up() may reschedule
> on an SMP system, since the other CPUs may be able to get
> another task to run. This is why there are two different
> implementations wake_up() and wake_up_sync().
>
> If you have 4 CPUs, 3 idle and call wake_up() why should
> the 3 idle CPUs _STAY_ idle, _until_ you (later) call schedule()
> and _then_ to schedule another task on the idle CPUs, and
> you to continue to go on, say if you were a SCHED_FIFO, or
> SCHED_OTHER...
>
> BTW, that the _whole_ point of SMP -- _symmetric_ MP.
>
> Bugs like this and the one recently found by Tom Wang
> an me, are elementary OS 101 and Programming 101. Maybe a major
> overhaul of the source should be done.
>
> Anyway, if you really DO THINK that you're right, maybe you should
> INSIST that the code is LEFT as it was, with a call to wake_up().
>
> --
> Luben

So tell me, what is ixfs?

        http://www.splentec.com/contacts.htm

        'Asia: www.insightstor.com'

        http://www.insightstor.com/partnership.html

        *  File System :
        We have developed independent file system, ixfs and support the
        development and compatibility with various File Systems.

And lets keep the discussion technical, if you want to use our
file system without a single line of credit and claim it as your
own, then you might want to be more civil about it.

Steve