Re: "Corruption of in-memory data detected"

To: Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs list <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "Corruption of in-memory data detected"
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:04:19 +0200
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 20:55 25-10-2002 +1000, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
This is at the office. An SMP (2xAthlon MP 2000) machine with
1GB memory.

The fs is exported via NFA and it was forced down when a user
(on another machine) was deleting files off NFS.

The kernel was build from CVS (linux-2.4-xfs) as of last
weekend (19/20 Oct). We dropped back to a version a few
months old which was used well on another, similar machine.

===========================
xfs_force_shutdown(sd(8,0),0x8) called from line 1042 of file
xfs_trans.c.  Return address = 0xf88ddfb7
Corruption of in-memory data detected.  Shutting down filesystem:
sd(8,0)
Please umount the filesystem, and rectify the problem(s)

The system mounted OK after a reboot. Should I check or
fix the fs now?

That might be a very wise thing to do. Check first, then fix.

Sometimes this sort of failure could have generated a problem which would only show later and probably produce a oops.

Cheers

--
Seth