Re: Debian XFS boot image at markybob.com

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Debian XFS boot image at markybob.com
From: George Georgalis <georgw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:41:41 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:43:57PM +0100, Wojtek Aleksander wrote:
>Robert Sander wrote:
>>http://www.markybob.com/xfsboot/ is currently unreachable (name does not
>>resolve). Does anybody have any details about that?
>>
>>It's linked from the downloads section on the XFS page.
>
>Depending on what you want to do, you may want to try some other images
>or the Knoppix CD (this is full distibution which supports XFS and is
>based on Debian). For Debian install I succesfully used this image:
>http://people.debian.org/~blade/XFS-Install/download/

I did some resesearch and found blade's images the best for a debian xfs
woody install.

There are a couple problems with them though (didn't try the cdrom, only
the floppies):

- you must make/use all 5 driver floppies even if you don't need extra
drivers, I'm kinda new to debian, maybe I missed something...

- the kernel is optimized for install bootstraping, recompile one for
regular use, I think blade's uses udma 33, but there might have been
other slow down factors.

- the rescue image does not have xfsrestore or any xfsprogs on it.

It would be good to note also that in the xfsprogs deb package
/usr/sbin/xfsrestore is a symlink to /sbin/xfsrestore ...so if you hose
your root partition with grub you can't use it. ;^)

Cheers,
// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@xxxxxxxxx