Strange XFS corruption...

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Strange XFS corruption...
From: Michael Sinz <msinz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:26:01 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
This is with a CVS checkout from the end of December (12/29/2002)

Today, I started to get errors trying to access /etc/mtab
Everything else looked fine.

I then did an "ls" in /etc and got multiple errors about not
being able to stat "mtab"  (yes, multiple ones)

I rebooted onto a different partition and ran XFS_CHECK and XFS_REPAIR
on the partition in question and then rebooted.

Now, when I do "ls /etc/mtab*" I get 12 files shown, all with the
same size/date/etc.

I tried to delete /etc/mtab and I got 12 errors.

I am doing yet another XFS_REPAIR now, but XFS_CHECK did not
report any errors so I doubt that anything would show up.

This machine is on a UPS and has not had any crashes/dirty shutdowns
in a long time.  It has been running XFS for a long time now.

I will try to get more details but I was in need of getting that
machine running again so did not have a chance to grab as much
data as I wish.

BTW - The kernel is exactly from CVS with only one patch that I did
for named core dumps (based on host name and program name).  There are
no funky drivers or other items (in fact, the kernel does not even
have support for loadable modules enabled)

Again, I am sorry that I did not get a chance to dig deeper but this
machine needed to be back in service "asap" (one of the reasons it
runs XFS :-)

--
Michael Sinz -- Director, Systems Engineering -- Worldgate Communications
A master's secrets are only as good as