Re: xfsdump max file size

To: Linux XFS Users <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsdump max file size
From: Jason Joines <joines@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:21:49 -0600
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Mandy Kirkconnell wrote:

Jason Joines wrote:

Mandy Kirkconnell wrote:

Jason Joines wrote:

What's the maximum file size for a file to be dumped by xfsdump?

xfsdump doesn't (really) have a maximum file size limitation. There is a maximum file size defined in xfsdump/dump/content.c but it is set to the largest theoretical file size, 18 million terabytes. The definition is defined in bytes:

/* max "unsigned long long int"
*/
#define ULONGLONG_MAX   18446744073709551615LLU

Obviously this maximum limit is impossible to hit, which is why I say xfsdump doesn't have a max file size limit. You should be able to dump the biggest possible file you can create.

There is, however, a command line option (-z) to set a maximum file size for your dump. This option allows you to specify a maximum file size, in kilobytes. Files over this size will be excluded from the dump.

When running a dump with "xfsdump -F -e -f /local/backup/weekly/sdb3.dmp -l 0 /dev/sdb3" I get the message, "xfsdump: WARNING: could not open regular file ino 4185158 mode 0x000081b0: File too large: not dumped". The file in question is 5.0 GB.

Jason
===========

xfsdump does not set EFBIG (errno 27) anywhere. It looks like the error is coming from the filesystem on the first attempt to open the file. What version of xfs are you running? Are you using the released version of xfsdump, or have you built your own copy?

Perhaps you could also use xfs_db to look at the extents of the file:

# xfs_db -r /dev/sdb3
xfs_db:  inode 4185158 p

We are able to dump a file of 4.5 GB without hitting the error. Perhaps we can figure out what's different between our environments and go from there.

Actually, I'm not quite sure what version of xfs it is. How do I tell? I am using a 2.4.18 kernel compiled by SuSE. I installed and looked at the source for this kernel but couldn't find anything that said what version of xfs it is. My xfsdump version is version 3.0. It is from a SuSE rpm as well.
   xfs_db gave:
# xfs_db -r /dev/sdb3
xfs_db: inode 4185158
xfs_db: p
core.magic = 0xfeff
core.mode = 0
core.version = 4
core.format = 0 (dev)
core.uid = 0
core.gid = 0
core.atime.sec = Wed Dec  6 15:33:04 1916
core.atime.nsec = -1818818560
core.mtime.sec = Mon Dec 14 15:16:30 1992
core.mtime.nsec = 1140850688
core.ctime.sec = Tue Feb  6 19:52:21 1973
core.ctime.nsec = -1674700016
core.size = -7811766231833445970
core.nblocks = 5764888998212337664
core.extsize = 201326592