xfs_repair unable to repair a corrupt filesystem

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfs_repair unable to repair a corrupt filesystem
From: "Russell G. Howe" <rhowe@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:12:55 +0000
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm having some problems with /var on my machine. The machine itself is
rather unstable and hangs every few days, but I don't think that is
XFS-related.

What does concern XFS is the data corruption I experience after such a
hard lockup (Alt+SysRq+B won't reboot the box, no HDD activity, etc).
/var has had at least some corruption for the past week or so which I
haven't had chance to fix. I took the opportunity just now after the
latest hang (which has hosed /home). I'll post a seperate message about
the /home problem singe it seems to be a seperate issue.

xfs_repair on /var appeared to fix at least some things, but there were
clearly still errors. I re-ran xfs_repair and got this output:

http://rhowe.sfarc.net/xfs_repair_var.txt.gz

The output appears identical no matter how many times I run xfs_repair.

I'm using XFS from CVS, sometime around the 19th Dec (that is the date
of compilation, and I update just before I compile). It's based on
2.4.20. Is this too old to be of use as a bug report? I am able and
willing to build a more up to date release of XFS if need be.

xfs_repair is from the Debian (unstable) package, and reports its
version as 2.3.11

I can mount /var, but all those xfs_repair errors make me rather
suspicious about using it.

Most errors appear to be centred around one large (700Mbish) file, which
I don't mind losing.
--
Russell Howe     | Why be just another cog in the machine,
rhowe@xxxxxxxxxx | when you can be the spanner in the works?