Re: Corrupted file on iso installer image of XFS 1.2

To: Bernhard Erdmann <be@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Corrupted file on iso installer image of XFS 1.2
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:27:31 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Jenny Williams <jenny_williams@xxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Bernhard Erdmann wrote:

> Is it that complicated? Do you have a Howto or a script how to "roll
> your own installer"?

It's not that hard, once you've taken the time to figure things out.

There were two bits of it, Anaconda modifications to support xfs,
and creating the right build environment for the installer.  You can look
at the patch in the Anaconda SRPM to see what we did to the installer
itself (actually lots of xfs support is there already from Red Hat, thanks
to Martin!).  To see how we set up the build environment, it would
probably be best to post a Makefile that Russell wrote to do most of
the hard stuff.

We essentially have every RPM from 8.0 + our RPMs in a tree, and symlink
them around.  One set of symlinks is for all the RPMs needed to build
the anaconda environment, the other set of symlinks "teaches" the installer
which RPMs are on which CD.  Scripts that come with Anaconda do the
rest (build the hdlist and build the installer).

I'll talk to Russell about publishing the Makefile - I think we'd both
be ecstatic if someone else wanted to pick up this work.  :)

-Eric