Re: LBA to File?

To: "Buzbee, James" <James.Buzbee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LBA to File?
From: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Mar 2003 00:14:53 +0100
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 23:50, Buzbee, James wrote:

> The scary thing about what we are seeing is that the "grown defect list"
> on the disk is showing a lot of sectors in these two areas.  It's almost
> as if we are wearing out the sectors in these areas by writing them so
> often. Strange but true ;-(

It was long suspected that journaling FS are bad for cheap IDE disks,
but you're probably the first to really verify it using an IDE analyzer.
There were also some informal experiences on that collected by the
reiserfs people. Thanks for verify this.

For that it would be actually nice to have some way to relocate the
journal offline or better online. Then you could just move the journal
around a bit once a week and avoid these problems.

However you would need enough free space as the journal can only
move into free space.

I guess offline (umounted fs) would be already possible with XFS
with some tweaks. Just don't fill the disk over 90% or so.

-Andi