Re: LBA to File?

To: "Buzbee, James" <James.Buzbee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LBA to File?
From: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Mar 2003 18:36:51 -0600
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 16:50, Buzbee, James wrote:

> The scary thing about what we are seeing is that the "grown defect list"
> on the disk is showing a lot of sectors in these two areas.  It's almost
> as if we are wearing out the sectors in these areas by writing them so
> often. Strange but true ;-(
>
> Jim

Ugh, yes these will be continually written to, the log in particular,
I like Eric's idea, but the scope of that is fairly drastic and it
will only postpone the inevitable - you can probably do the math to
work out how long the drive will run before it runs out of bad
blocks to remap to. All running with alternating logs would do is
delay the drive becoming scrap metal. The reliability of these
devices may not be up to the load you are placing on them.
Not all ide drives are this bad, I have been running xfs on
the same ide drive for about 3 years now - but then I am
not running a PVR. I suspect also you may have the write cache
turned off to avoid errors after a crash.

Possibly the way your app runs is making things worse. There is a script
in  the cmd/misc directory called xfsstats.pl you can watch log activity
with this. In particular xs_log_writes and xs_log_blocks. If log_blocks
is not a reasonable multiple of log_writes then you are doing a lot of
very small writes.

Steve